As a pedestrian, you need to keep a close eye on what’s going on around you. For example, if you’re walking outdoors, you should be aware of vehicles in close proximity.
However, just because you move indoors it doesn’t mean that you are any more safe. In fact, there are a variety of reasons why people are injured in an indoor slip-and-fall accident.
Here are several of the most common causes of indoor slip and fall accidents:
- Failure to provide a warning that floors are wet or in the process of being cleaned.
- Failure to use a barrier to close off a floor that is dangerous for any reason.
- Using too much polish or wax, thus causing a slippery surface that is unsuitable for pedestrians.
- Treating one part of a floor but leaving another untouched, thus leading to a change in conditions.
- Applying the wrong type of floor treatment on stairs or a part of the floor the slopes.
- A step that with any type of damage, such as missing wood.
- Rugs that have a curl, thus causing a trip hazard.
- Items that are stuck in the carpet, which can potentially catch a person’s foot.
Along with the above, it’s important to note that elevators and escalators pose additional risks. For example, you could suffer an injury if you’re riding on an elevator that suddenly changes direction.
If you’re involved in an indoor slip-and-fall accident, here are the steps you should take:
- Call for medical assistance (and stay put until help arrives).
- Make note of what caused the accident, while also taking pictures if possible.
- Notify the property manage of the accident.
Once you receive treatment and have a better idea of what types of injuries you’re dealing with, you can turn your attention to your legal rights.
Depending on the type of accident and your injuries, you may be able to file a lawsuit with the idea of receiving compensation. There is a lot that goes into this, so make sure you have a clear idea of your rights and the steps you should take. With the help of a personal injury attorney, you can handle this situation in the appropriate manner.