Mixed martial arts fans might be interested in the continued development of fighter Conor McGregor’s New York assault and criminal mischief cases. The fighter has been accused of a rampage at the Barclays Center, including throwing a hand truck at a bus another fighter was on. McGregor appeared in Brooklyn Criminal Court on the morning of June 14.
Following the hearing, the fighter issued a statement that said he regrets the events that led up to the case. McGregor and another Irish MMA fighter who was allegedly involved, Cian Cowley, were both ordered to stay away from the men on the other side of the fray, which included at least two fellow professional fighters.
The court released McGregor following his compliance with a $50,000 bail package that let him claim his passport, but requires him to check in weekly with his bail bondsman. McGregor’s defense attorney told the judge his client was not a flight risk, citing his celebrity status and lack of a prior criminal record.
The president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship fighting organization has previously announced that McGregor would be stripped of the UFC lightweight championship belt. The altercation, which occurred after a press conference for UFC 223, allegedly left fighters Ray Borg and Michael Chiesa injured. McGregor is reportedly interested in reaching a plea agreement with prosecutors.
In a case where a New York resident has been charged with assault, criminal mischief or other violent crimes, an attorney may be able to help. An attorney with experience in criminal defense law might examine the prosecution’s case and target weaknesses therein or conduct witness depositions in preparation for trial. Legal counsel could also move to suppress evidence that would support the prosecution’s claims or attempt to negotiate a plea bargain to settle the case.